You probably don’t need a permit, but before you fire up the chain saw make sure of a few things. Trees in the town’s right of way may be street trees. Call the parks and recreation department before you chop away. Trees in or near wetlands may require a wetland permit (see below). Call the Inland Wetlands and Watercourse Agency. Trees on lots that are part of a subdivision may be protected. Check with planning and zoning. Finally, clearcutting of trees may require an erosion and settlement control plan. Check with Conservation Commission staff.